Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Anna's Wedding & Sea Glass Beach

This was an extraordinary adventure that Eden and I got to share. The time was so short and the days were so few that sometimes it feels as if it didn't happen at all - but it did! The wedding portion of the trip was difficult for Eden. There was a lot of sitting around, a lot of pictures, and a lot of people that Eden didn't know. Sort of the trifecta of misery for Eden. But I really enjoyed our time there and was selfishly glad I had Eden with me as my little buddy. Eden was a good sport too, but once the time got near to head over to glass beach she was practically dragging me out the door. 

It took a long time to get to the beach and I was so nervous about getting lost. The road heading over was also extremely curvy. The curviest road Eden had ever been on and she became incredibly car sick. At that point I had begun to doubt my parenting choices and wondered whether this adventure of ours was really a good idea or not. But we eventually made it to our bed and breakfast safely, the B&B host was extremely warm and kind - Eden took to her almost immediately. She let us have our choice of the rooms, and I let Eden choose. Once we got all settled in we headed off to sea glass beach. I don't have words to describe the beauty there. I had an image in my head of how I expected it to be and it was just like that image but REAL. There were lots of other people at the beach enjoying it's beauty and gleaning from it's richness as well. At one point I told Eden to enjoy her time there because it was not likely that we would ever be able to return - at which point she told me that she would certainly be returning with her children someday...but there were so many people taking the glass that I am not sure the beach will still be there when she has kids...Both of us are so grateful that we got to see it and experience it. Eden told me that she had been dreaming of going there her whole life (!). So needless to say it was worth the trek and Eden and I are both forever grateful to Anna and Eric for having us at their wedding and for hosting their wedding in such proximity to this place that up until this point existed only in our wildest dreams!
Eden has not stopped talking about the propeller plane and getting to walk out onto the tarmac. Out of all the things we did and saw this seems to have made the greatest impact on her little psyche. She is so proud of this fact and tells Zion about it over and over. 
So excited to be starting our adventure!!
Anna & Grandma Kathy/Kate

Occupying her time. I was so grateful to not have Zion at this point (although he was sorely missed and would have made a fine addition to the adventure).
Dinner in the cave.
Anna and Eric
I just love the bond and love that these girls share. It's such a beautiful thing to behold!
Eden with her cousins Caydence and Merit
It took everything in my power not to just keep on driveway straight here. We were so close to the giant Sequoia but we didn't really have time to seen them and glass beach too. This is such a beautiful area that someday I would like to have more time in. 
Our B&B
Saying good-bye to glass beach for the day.
Fancy dinner out
Homemade s'more ice cream - kind of dreamy...
We finished up our abridged version of The Secret Garden, a book that rekindled Eden's love of chapter books, in this dreamy little sitting room outside our bedroom.
We headed back to sea glass beach first thing in the morning and were rewarded with having the place almost to ourselves. 
Glass beach emerged out of the old town dump - some other remnants of the dump still remain fossilized in the rock and sand. 
The ocean up there seemed so hungry and uninviting. There were boats out there on that mess and I could hardly imagine the misery of the crew onboard. 
Pure and absolute contentment and bliss!
Eden wanted me to take pictures of our room

The drive was windy but incredible! Eden took the top pic.
Eden is officially obsessed with minivans made me take this picture as well.

1 comment:

  1. how amazing!! that is so cool you got to have that one on one time together, in such an amazing spot. I've never been there - hope I get to someday!! catching up on your blog this afternoon - loving all the summer pics :)

    ReplyDelete