Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Fishing 4 Day

This was a 4 day that was long overdue and highly anticipated. We had originally planned to spend it in Catalina but ended up spending it at home, getting in a couple of really fun fishing days on the boat. The whole boat thing really fascinates me. I have not spent much time on boats and the time I have spent has mostly been consumed in the throws of sea sickness. I have had pretty good luck on our boat although some of the most recent trips have been more rough making me feel a little queazy. The funny thing is, I don't care - even when I feel sick, I am still determined to love the boat. The first day of our 4 day we went out in the afternoon, played at the little sand bar in the harbor till the tide came up and swept the sand away then ran the boat just offshore to fish for shark. The kids and I all passed out right away, whether from sheer fatigue or slight sickness it is hard to say for sure but I woke up just before Jon got a shark on the line. It was so fun to reel him in - he was one of the most beautiful creatures I have ever seen. We didn't keep him because he was rather small (although he was no smaller than most of the sea bass Jon brings home), and I was more than a little disappointed when we came into the harbor and some guy was touting the Mako as the best fish he had ever eaten. But the kids slept for at least two hours while we were out there fishing for Mako, maybe we should have kept him maybe not - it didn't matter cause those two hours morphed into one of the best "mini-dates" I have ever been on. 

Jon took the boat out again on Sunday afternoon and spent the night on it with a buddy trying to catch a sea bass rod and reel. They caught one early Monday am and Jon had the kids and I come down to the harbor to do a little fishing before I had to take Eden to school. We were using the squid they caught the night before as bait and the sand bass were going crazy. I lost one and caught two, Eden had the line for a bit - kept telling me she was getting a bite (I didn't believe her) but when we reeled in her line her squid were destroyed. I felt terrible but she is such a good sport - just laughing at me cause she knows she is already a much better fisher than I will ever be.

This was on the way to the sandbar friday afternoon. We have often seen boats anchored there and said we wanted to bring our boat there as well. I have always been slightly unmotivated since we paddle the standup boards over there to play often and I didn't see how it would be any different. And really it wasn't much different but hands down it is one of the kids' favorite places to play. Something about being over there captivates them, and I really enjoyed jumping off the boat and swimming to shore. I probably swam to and from the boat at least ten times. I can't wait to go back there and play again from the boat.


These pics were taken with the GoPro
These with the iPhone 


Drying off and pretending I am floating somewhere off the coast of France. Although I'm not sure why - it's pretty epic right where we are at.
Zi making friends everywhere he goes.
Mini Date - Yay!!!

7am Monday - I wish we would have just skipped school that day, it was just such a beautiful day out there on the water, but Eden only has about 4 days of school left so it didn't seem justified. Plus she got to bring some live squid in for show and tell which I have to imagine was pretty cool for her too.
Pic of the squid Jon took the night before.
Baiting the squid - aren't they lovely?
Eden ate so much raw fish that day that she got a tummy ache.
I cooked up the sand bass for the kids and myself last night. The kids loved it. It was a miracle! I was beyond thrilled!

No comments:

Post a Comment