Thursday, April 10, 2014

Books

When Zi was a baby I could hardly read to him at all. For him, books were kind of like food, he was always just too busy. Such a stark contrast from Eden who would sit in her boppy chair at 6 months old and listen to an entire Dr Seuss story in one sitting - completely engaged. For a while I resigned myself to the idea that he may just not be a book guy at all. But I couldn't have been more wrong. His love for books and reading is actually strong and deep. Now he will sit through as many stories as you will read him (kind of). And I LOVE that as soon as my father steps through the door he runs to his room and brings him a book to read. It's one of the most beautiful and special things I have ever witnessed. 


As a side note I think I will use this space to write down a few of the kids' favorite books as babies for memories sake:

Mr Brown Can Moo So Can You - the first time I ever heard Eden laugh was while reading this book to her (she was quite old for a first laugh over 3 mo for sure /:). This was also a favorite for Zi, one of the only ones he would sit through as a baby and request over and over again.

The Snail and The Whale - both the kids love it.

The Day the Babies Crawled Away - Eden had this book memorized although we only had it a short time as it was a library book.

Chugga Chugga Choo Choo (I think that's the name) - obviously a Zi favorite, but both the kids love to use our train whistle at the appropriate parts.

A House is A House For Me - Zi loved this book for a time, right around the time he was really starting to enjoy reading. I think he loved it for the complexity of the pictures/drawings within.

Little Mermaid - Eden was given a big box of these books some time ago, and since we aren't ones to turn down books (even if the theme is questionable) we kept them and they have become Edens very favorite books. I kind of can not stand them so she often has to wait till Jon is home to have them read to her, but they are undeniably her favorite books and have been for some time.

Chapter Books - Eden has completed her first chapter book with me The Magicians Nephew (the first book in the Lion Witch and Wardrobe series). Eden seemed to love it and begged me to read it to her every night and morning, but ever since we started the second book she has been less interested. I have begun to feel she is not quite ready - not for these books at least, I'm afraid that the content may be a little frightening for her young mind. So we have put that on hold for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment