Sunday, April 26, 2015

Zi Guy at 3.7

For the longest time, Zion begged me to sign him up for gymnastics so I started taking him back in January. After the second class the coach was so excited about him that she started talking about putting him in an older kids' class to start 'prepping him for the Olympics'(!) It was pretty hilarious and also so incredibly typical of Zi. He loves to be noticed, maybe not to be in the spotlight so much, but all of the time he is making sure that somebody notices him. He was proud of himself to have gotten the coach's attention like he did. Along the same line of being 'noticed', every chance he gets he will bring something to his Mommy and Me class to 'show and tell'. His class does not have a 'show and tell' portion. In fact, Zion is the only one to have ever brought anything in, and he has done it several times. I've tried to put a kibosh on it, since it's not particularly part of the curriculum, but some of his items are worth sharing - like the butterfly he found one day while walking down the street. He was so proud of and obsessed with the butterfly that he carted it around his classroom for the entire day. The third picture I have up of Zi is of him riding his bike without training wheels on New Years Day. He did it and he did it well! I was so incredibly proud of him! But that was the first and the last time I ever saw him ride it. He is not the expert on his bike that he is on his scooter so he refuses to ride it. Zion is a super boy with almost superhuman fearlessness and talent, but I am for the first time starting to see a chink in that armor. I believe that this trait I am seeing will not serve him well. Jon does not see it the same way I do. I want to take his scooter away to force him to develop another skill, but Jon wants to let him be 3. I guess my fear is that so many things have always come so naturally to him that he has not developed the ability to actually TRY. And the longer we wait to guide him through that process the harder it will be. The last pic I have up is just a very typical Zi moment around the house. During any down time we have at the house, whether it be 3 minutes or 30, you will almost always find Zi with Klamath in hand. I've added another 'last picture' since I posted this. One that is also very typical of Zi. He loves to be upside down and he loves to be showing off in one way or another.

Side note - 

Just today when trying to explain just how much he loves me Zion told me:
"I love you as much as God does!" which I realize is quite a lot and it melted my heart. (:

Yesterday when I asked him what the favorite part of his day was he replied emphatically:
"Petting the whales!!!" to which I replied: "Yes Zion, that was the favorite part of my life too." (:


2 comments:

  1. what an amazing kid!! I would let him bring his show and tell, I think it's sweet. Vera actually often brings something in to her 2ND grade class which doesn't have a show-and-tell either. It shows he's interested in learning as a community :) Can't wait to see you this summer! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you Anne! Counting the days till you and your crew come to visit!!!

    ReplyDelete