Sunday, October 19, 2014

SC Has a Bouldering Gym!

Late last summer I started hearing rumors about a new climbing gym in San Clemente but paid no heed to the rumors as the concept of an actual climbing gym in San Clemente seemed way to far-fetched. Then while we were in Mammoth back in late August/early September we camped next to a guy who was friends with the owner and he confirmed those rumors. The kids and I came back from Mammoth and went straight to the gym and had non-stop fun for a month straight (Eden & I both had memberships for the first month due to a really good promo). Since the promo ended and I cancelled Eden's membership she has not been back. But it was a really fun month and we got in quite a few really fun days in that block of time. The month of October has brought a new passion for Eden - surfing...more posts on that to follow. Meanwhile I have continued climbing at the gym whenever I can and I can not begin to express what a gift it has been for me. It's nice to move my body in a way that I enjoy and in a way that makes me truly sore. It feels like it's been such a long time since I have been able to exercise my body in this way. And though I have historically harbored a deep distain for climbing gyms (especially bouldering gyms) I value our little gym and am grateful beyond words for this place. 

The below pics are from Eden's last visit to the gym with her long time friend Merek. I can not put into words how much fun it was to take these two big kids to the gym without the distraction of Zi or Merek's little sis Kate. It was just so much fun to focus on them completely and all that they could do - and they were amazing! Merek, who really hadn't climbed much at all before, climbed to the top and down at least 20 times. And Eden was in full-blown show-off mode - running around showing Merek all that she could do - she was seriously doing climbs and moves I had never seen her do before! 
Doin' a dance

It was nearly impossible to coax them down from the top...that part was scary, but they listened well enough and stayed safe.
Who's taller? (:

No comments:

Post a Comment