Sunday, September 7, 2014

Catalina or Bust!

You know that feeling of exhaustion you have after trying some new activity for the first time? Well that, in a nutshell, if how we felt after our Catalina trip. We went with the intention of staying as long as we could. We met our match in 3 days.

To be fair we had a bit of a rough start. We headed out in a "Catalina Eddy" which apparently means the winds swirl and make the sea all mixed up. For 3/4 of the way there the waves were breaking over the windshield. At one point Eden asked me why she, Zi, and I were so squished together on the bench....I told her we had to squish so that we wouldn't fall off. Literally in the next breath the three of us were airborne and we all landed with a thud in the door-way of the cabin. I seriously felt lucky that nobody got a head injury. After that I put Zi to bed in the cabin, because it seemed like the safest place for him, and I was able to breath easier and semi enjoy the rest of the wild ride.

Not far from Catalina the seas smoothed and we had wide open yellow tail fishing. It was really fun and exciting to reel in these bigger fish. We were catching so many that I finally had to tell Jon I couldn't catch any more because my arms were so tired. The kids each reeled in one a piece and as I was going through these pics the other day, Eden said: "Mom, I wish I was you." When I asked her why she said: "Because you got to reel in so many of the big fish". Trust me she had ample opportunity, but it's good to know that she would like to do it again. For the most part the kids seem to have much more fun catching the small fish than the big ones. I guess they enjoy the autonomy of it. By the end of the trip they were each throwing their line out and catching fish entirely on their own. It was actually incredibly remarkable! Already they are much better at fishing than I am (granted it didn't take much).

The rest of the trip I will leave to the pictures. You will see we visited Avalon this time - also a point of challenge on the trip. It was so busy in the harbor that I felt like we were sleeping on a freeway. We didn't make the connection at the time, but there was a cruise ship outside the harbor and the port was jammed packed with people. Many people were taking pictures of us with our get-up (dog, kids, on SUPs all coming to shore). It felt like being in a fish bowl and altogether very strange. All that to say, Avalon is not a place I am interested in trying again any time soon. But Jon thinks we should give it another chance. I am sure we will. Hopefully without a cruise ship in port, hopefully that will in fact make all the difference in the world.

One more thing that I would like to make note of...Eden really took to snorkeling on this trip. In a way that I never dreamed she would. Snorkeling in Catalina is intimidating to me. I was really reticent snorkeling off the boat last trip in 30-40 feet of water. Something about it just feels very vulnerable. Eden was not concerned in the least. Jon pointed out several sharks, a big leopard shark, and some horn shark (nice ones, but still), I couldn't believe her out there. She would just swim away with her snorkel and fins, I was always rushing after her to be by her side when she popped her head up out of the water but I don't think it was even necessary. More and more it's becoming apparent that swimming is her element. Like her dad, in the water is where she seems to be completely free.

DAY 1

These guys seemed to be kayaking/camping around the island. It looked pretty fun and very NatGeo to me (:
.
There's the cruise ship.
Eden "snorkeling" around our Avalon mooring - waiting for the rest of us to paddle to shore. 
Sushi on the stern was pretty much amazing! Eden ate her weight in it.

To me, there is nothing better than bedtime on the boat. It really is the ultimate water bed and the only creature comfort this boat has to offer. For the first time in at least a twelve hour period we get the chance to set ourselves down on a soft surface. 

DAY 2

Not sure what they are pointing at here. Maybe a seal, maybe they are telling Jon to watch out for another boat - I could not believe how tight it was in that harbor. It seriously gives me anxiety just thinking about it.
Here Zion is catching the wind in his mouth while the boat is going fast. This occupied him for a good 20 minutes. 
And with his tongue.
Then holding it inside.
Klamath likes the wind too
Meanwhile Eden was setting out "breakfast".
Just look at all the sea glass potential.
With the snorkeling Eden was slow to start then out of no where she just took off!
The kids would alternate between snorkeling and fishing for much of the day. They would snorkel until they were too cold then fish until they were too hot. Jon and I joke now that being on the boat out there was like being on the surface of the sun. There is just no escape from the elements. You are either burning with surface temperature or freezing from wind chill. I feel like a wimp saying it in print but it's true and definitely something that is gonna take some getting used to. 
Eden caught more of these calicos than I could count.
Zi dropped his fishing pole in 40 feet of water on day two. Good thing his Dad is a super hero.
He looks too big for his own briches here...
It's sort of a pain to paddle to shore, but once we do I think we all feel a bit like this.
And this
But of course I live in a family of mermaids so while I walk through the rocks to the next beach they choose instead to swim around them.
I'm surprised they're not just swimming here.
Our mooring the next night was much more our style. Sunset fishing with beautiful views and a few boats scattered comfortably around - just heavenly!
Until Jon caught Nemo - geeshe (I was so mad at him)!

DAY 3 



You are looking at the first piece of sea glass Zion has ever found entirely on his own.
I love these pics of Zion and Klamath truly playing and interacting with one another.
And I love how this picture captures Zion's complete abandon.
And this, pondering the vastness of this place.
Below is the first fish Zion has ever single-handedly caught. Apart from baiting the hook the entire process was all on his own. He was thrilled!
Meanwhile, Eden was unstoppable - just catching fish after fish after fish.
This was when Eden popped her head up and said: "Mom! This is so much fun!!!"
Last fish before heading out. We were having so much fun at this point that it was hard to leave again, but at the same time it just seemed like it was time. We are all crossing our fingers for one more trip before the weather changes.
The below pics capture Eden and Zion's personalities so well...
"What can I do to help?"
"What on earth is taking so long?"

No comments:

Post a Comment