Saturday, July 5, 2014

Independence Day

For all of America's present day faults, I am profoundly grateful for the freedom we enjoy here. Yesterday we had such a great time celebrating that freedom. We spent the morning crashing Jon's work day - first at a neighborhood parade in Irvine (which the kids loved!) then at his station for lunch (and seriously, what is more 4th of July than hanging out with firemen?). Later we had dinner with the Wallas and after that we went over to one of our friends' house to watch the fireworks. We had so much fun in Wisconsin last 4th of July. I was worried this year that the day could not be as memorable for the kids as it was last year. But the day came together so seemlessly in a way that I couldn't have imagined or planned. Turns out the kids are at this magical age where the 4th of July is great for them here, there, and anywhere. 

I love how shiny the trucks are. This is Eden looking at her reflection in the door of the heavy rescue truck.
I could not choose just one of these. Their faces are just too much!
 4th of July Band
I could not believe how serious the kids were about wanting to watch the fire works. I seriously did everything I could to talk them out of it, cause honestly I wanted to go to bed. But they both insisted, especially Eden, and I am so happy that they did. We ended up having such a wonderful evening with our gracious friends. It was the perfect end to a perfect day. When Eden woke up this morning she was going on and on about their beauty. She was marveling about how they "went up and touched the end of our earth and exploded into all the colors of the rainbow!". 

No comments:

Post a Comment