Thursday, February 5, 2015

Joshua Tree Day Trips

This is the time of year that we like to head out to Joshua Tree for day trips - as many as we can, which often ends up being only a handful for the season. In truth it's not the easiest trip we have ever taken with the kids. On the contrary, it's a trip that involves lots of driving and lots of climbing - not necessarily the recipe for the perfect day for a 3 and 5 year old. But the kids are good sports and I am grateful to them for making the most of it. With great trepidation we have even begun to experiment with bouldering more with the kids. I have a lot of hesitation in this regard due to my injury but as it turns out bouldering is so much easier to do with the kids than rope climbing (even top roping). The whole experience of bouldering just lends itself to a much more carefree environment. It involves more movement and less focus - all major plusses for our young bloods in tow. Trying to incorporate rock climbing into this mermaid kingdom (that is my family) is just another part of our journey. Sometimes I feel like giving up and surrendering to the power of the ocean and the magnitude of it's draw, but the dirt and rock  is where I feel at home. I'm grateful that we have continued to venture into that world together and eager to see what it has in store.
Making a checklist of all the creatures they had seen thus far - it looked something like this: Stinkbug, Vulture, Bunny, Lizard...I'm probably missing a few but you get the drift.
Can you see Jon atop the rock in the back ground? Setting a top rope.
Both the kids fight over the task of pulling the rope.
Off on another explore
ROAR!!!
I just love this heart shaped rock
This boulder is called pig pen (and takes a route under & through the roof). It's a (not so hard) climb that we were never able to accomplish before (kids) and still have not gotten now - though I am happy to say that we are closer than we have ever been.
Jon showing Eden how to fasten the crash pad. She was so excited to carry it around everywhere and be really helpful.
I could not get enough of those little legs sticking out from under the crash pad.
As we waited for Jon to pick us up I taught the kids a bit about hitch hiking - I couldn't get enough of Zi and his little index finger. 
After a long day in the park Zi was toast - he literally could not make it a step farther and we had our hands full - not to mention it was a bit of a slog back to the car from where we were. Jon got creative and put Zi in the crash pad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment