Friday, May 9, 2014

Dana Point Grand Prix

The kids were randomly in their first bike race over the weekend. It was this neat little free event for kids. Eden did not want to do it when I initially presented her with the idea, but Zion was automatically into it which contributed to helping her come around to the idea. I was especially proud of Eden who really does not enjoy these types of activities (which give her a sense of being in the spotlight) but she came to a place where she really wanted to do it and then had this quiet resolve about her for the entire event.

This is Eden's friend Arsen, who's mom told us about the event. Arsen raced with the big kids (5-6) whereas Eden and Zion were in the youngest group 4 & under.
5 & 6 y/o's getting ready to start their race.
At the starting line
In this young group the parents got to run along with the kids - you can see Mimmi keeping pace with Eden here.
I love this of Zion next to this other young guy, neck and neck on their scoots.
Eden was so funny, she was definitely not trying to go as fast as she could...she was hesitantly peddling all the while she would turn her head to look for Zi and I to make sure we were not too far behind.
Even Zi with all of his fierce determination was not sure what to make of this big ole bike race. 
All the kids got a medal at the end. Eden was so proud of her medal that she brought it to school for show and tell the next day; and that night, when I went to check on her before going to bed myself, I found her fast asleep with her medal clutched in her little hands (I wish I would have taken a picture). 
Mimmi and I took the kids to the Harbor House for a root beer float afterwards. Jon brought me here several times during those early years of dating. We have both been wanting to share this place with the kids for a long time now.

No comments:

Post a Comment