Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Kauai 2012

Pier Jumping

Almost every day, Jon and Eden would jump off the pier at Hanalei Bay several times. It was so fun to see her jump and hold onto Jon's neck as tight as she could. One time she held both our hands and we jumped the three of us together. I can't wait till Zi can jump with us, maybe next year...




Eden's favorite thing about the pier jump was trying to swim back to the beach all by herself each time.
Zion was so dangerous at the pier. Every time we were up there he would physically try to jump. I could barely snap this pic {safely} because he wanted to jump for it so bad. Next year buddy, next year...



Kids Surfing

Eden was pretty into surfing, especially when we first got there. By the end she got kind of over it though. I think she just got over tired. Too much play and sun.



Eden's sequence of standing up on her own!





'Dad, when is it my turn???'



Zi would tuck his fist under his chin like this whenever he had an exceptionally good ride.





Zion could not get enough of the surfing

The Hindu Temple



Snorkeling

Eden going snorkeling was such an incredible highlight. She swam so well on this trip and she was able to go out pretty far with Jon and see giant schools of fish. At one point they were surrounded by turtles. The underwater world is a pretty incredible place, and it can be somewhat daunting. I think for Eden it was a bit intimidating at times, but snorkeling was still  by far one of her favorite things to do on the trip.



The *Aqua Plop*

One morning while I was out surfing and Jon was watching the kids on a desolate beach, Eden explained to Jon that she really really had to go number two. Well, in the surfing {dirtbag} world, there is this thing called the aqua plop. So that morning Jon kindly taught Eden all the joys and the goodness of this thing called the aqua plop. As you can imagine she was thrilled, but nobody mentioned anything about it to me. Then later, Jon is surfing and I am hanging out with the kids at what seems like the busiest {SNOREKLING} beach in all of kauai if not the world, and we are at least a mile away from our car and two miles away from any bathroom. People all around me are gauking at my kids and admiring them in all of there cuteness, when Eden explains to me that she really has to go number two and that it is ok because daddy has taught her all about the aqua plop, and that it is no big deal because it just washes out to the middle of the ocean. No sooner has she explained this to me than I see her bearing down in the shallow end with snorkelers all around her. I am running like a crazy person for a bucket, I start trying to scoop the poop out. Once I get one LOG in and try to go for the next {of three logs} the first log comes out. People around me are incredibly appalled, as anyone would be I suppose. And you can only imagine that the type of people that are vacationing at this pristine beach in Kauai are not the type that are gonna take kindly to the aqua plop. Below is a panoramic picture of the crowd that day, but it still does not do justice the sheer number of bodies on the beach and in the water while this horrible incident occurred. By far one of the most humiliating moments of my life to date.
  


Strolls on the Beach



Thanksgiving

Here was our Hawaiin Feast


Macadamian nut stuffing, and green bean casserole.

Homemade Apple Pie with Mini Pumpkin Pie with streusel topping.

Such a great group of people to be surrounded by on Thanksgiving!

Marcus & Laurie back left and Collin Smith on right.
Kerry Smith
Our centerpiece that Eden helped us make.

Beach Play



Looking for fish
Family paddle
Zion is obsessed with Eden, and she tolerates him and loves him pretty well.






Zion's beach Art

Eden's beach Art
Eden loves to put buckets on her head, the pic on the right it from our first trip to Kauai, Eden was about 18mo.


By the end it seemed as if Zion had grown up so much. He was even insisting on taking his own load to the beach. He made it a long way with his load before he decided to hitch a ride from sister.


Family Portraits























Wildlife

These little fish were all over the sand one day.



One day down at Tunnels the water was clear and still and at least 10 turtles came into the shallows. Zion got to see them all, it was such a special treat.


We found these frogs of the last day of our adventure. At first I thought they might be dead, turns out they were just busy. 


We were super into the geckos and Eden became an expert gecko spotter by the end.




Fresh meat on the side of the road. Jon really wanted to go pig hunting while we were there. Here was his chance.



Zion was super into the chicken's and roosters. Cock a doodle doing all day and chasing them everywhere. Life is too quiet without roosters everywhere.









Grammy & Grampy

We were so fortunate to have my parents join us for the last ten days. It was such a treat to have them and I cherish the time that we were able to spend with them. My favorite memories from that time was the times that they spent with us down at the beach. My parents hung out on the beach for a bit at Zion's birthday party but prior to that I can not remember the last time that we were down on the sand together at the beach. When I mentioned this to my mom she laughed and said it was probably the last time we were in Hawaii (which was when I was 16). Anyway, the day my mom snorkeled with us was by far one of the most memorable days of my life. I can't remember a time where I laughed so hard. It was so fun trying to get her to put her face in the water to see a fish and she was such a sport while trying. 

Another amazing part about having Grammy & Grampy with us was the consistent time they got to spend with the kids. At one point my dad mentioned that prior to the trip in all the times he had spent with Eden he had probably heard her say 30 words, but he said while being with her and living in the same space he sees that she really does not stop talking. Eden can be pretty quiet and reserved when she is not super comfortable so it was very special for my dad especially to come to know her as she really is. 

And lastly we are super grateful to my parents for all of the babysitting that they did!!! We got to surf together pretty much every day which was AMAZING! I can hardly remember the last time Jon and I surfed together, or that I got to surf with anyone for that matter. AND we went on an incredible date one afternoon and into the evening. It was paradise in paradise!














The kids playing peak a boo with Grammy under the towel






Eden & Cupcake the *Reindeer* Horse







Things We Will Sorely Miss Till Next Time

This Smith's House

Jon already misses this place called Common Grounds. Here is Eden enjoying some pretty tart lemonade from the establishment.

Dragon Hunting {for Puff}

Tree Climbing
And finally our DAILY shave ice

No comments:

Post a Comment